American Board of Medical Specialties Board Re-Eligibility Programs
Working with select ABMS member boards, CPEP has created alternative pathways to re-eligibility for physicians whose eligibility has lapsed or expired. To date, these programs have been approved by the American Board of Emergency Medicine, American Board of Family Medicine, and the American Board of Pediatrics.
Benefits of CPEP Re-Eligibility Programs
CPEP Re-eligibility programs…
- Allow physicians to demonstrate competency to their ABMS board
- Identify and address each physician’s unique educational needs
- Balance Boards’ requirement for rigor with physicians’ need for practicality
- Are designed to fit with physician’s busy work life
- Do not require travel and can be completed in the physician’s own community
While each of these programs is tailored to the specific requirements of individual boards, they all combine baseline educational needs assessments with education/longitudinal evaluation plans. While the education/longitudinal evaluation plans typically take 6 – 9 months to complete, most participants continue to work in their home communities while completing their plans.
Physician’s participation in these programs requires prior approval from the physician’s ABMS board, and final determination of re-eligibility is made by participating ABMS boards, not by CPEP.