Prescribing Controlled Drugs: Critical Issues and Common Pitfalls©
A Non-Profit Program for All Prescribers of Controlled Drugs
ALL CPEP PRESCRIBING CONTROLLED DRUGS SEMINARS WILL BE CONDUCTED THROUGH VIDEO CONFERENCE
“The seminar is uplifting and empowering, not blaming or belittling”
“Thank you for all your effort and energy. It did not go unnoticed …”
“Should be mandated prior to getting DEA number”
Managing Patients on Chronic Controlled Substances is not Easy
This three-day course is offered in conjunction with the Vanderbilt Center for Professional Health. Participants will:
- Learn appropriate prescribing practices
- Cultivate new skills in substance abuse identification
- Develop strategies for discussing personal responsibilities with patients
- Identify their personal motivations in patient encounters
This course is designed to fulfill licensing board or credentialing requirements for remedial education. It is specifically targeted toward healthcare professionals who prescribe controlled substances and those cited for inappropriate prescribing.
Typical Reasons for Referral Include:
- Inappropriate dispensing of medications from physicians’ offices
- Prescribing controlled substances in large quantities and/or at too frequent intervals
- Prescribing for family members, friends, or people with known histories of substance abuse
- Prescribing when documentation of the clinical situation is inadequate or non-existent
The course is also suitable for healthcare professionals who wish to improve their comfort and skills managing patients on chronic controlled substances.
This Course is Not…
- A treatment program for drug dependence. Of course, participants in recovery who wish to improve their knowledge and skills in the safe prescribing of controlled drugs are welcome
- A rehabilitation program for clinicians accused of illegally selling drugs for profit
“It’s a phenomenal course…I feel like I am making treatment decisions out of integrity rather than fear.”
Feedback from Prescribing Controlled Drugs participant
What You Need to Know
How do I enroll in Prescribing Controlled Drugs?
Enrolling in Prescribing Controlled Drugs is easy. Simply Click Here to access the registration page.
What do past participants say about Prescribing Controlled Drugs?
“It’s a phenomenal course…my confidence in my decision-making process overall has increased substantially and I feel like I am making treatment decisions out of integrity rather than fear.”
Participant Feedback on “Prescribing Controlled Drugs: Critical Issues and Common Pitfalls”
Who is eligible for Prescribing Controlled Drugs?
This course is open to all healthcare professionals who prescribe controlled substances.
What’s the cost?
What to expect after enrollment?
- After your initial registration, you will receive a confirmation of enrollment within 48 – 72 hours
What about CME credit?
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of UCHealth Southern Region and CPEP.
UCHealth Southern Region is accredited by the Colorado Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
UCHealth Southern Region designates this live course for a maximum of 24.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
What about American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) credits?
This Live activity has been reviewed and is approved for up to 20 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CPEP would like to thank Pinnacol Assurance and the COPIC Medical Foundation for their generous support of our efforts to bring this important course to Denver.
The majority of materials used in this course were originally developed by, and used with the permission of, the Vanderbilt Center for Professional Health. CPEP is pleased and privileged to work with Vanderbilt in making this important course more broadly available.